Buy Art Fair 2017
The Philips Art Gallery presentation at the Buy Art Fair spans more than half a century of international art. Martin Bradley's rise to the higher levels of the European art scene was meteoric, with his first solo exhibition at the Gimpel Fils Gallery in 1954 at the ripe old age of 23. Conrad Marca-Relli was fully immersed in the post war New York swim along with his friend Jackson Pollock, and we are very fortunate to have a small edition paper and burlap collage by this artist. The reputation of John Alvaro Caldas continues to grow steadily with collectors beginning to appreciate his rightful place at the top table of post war European artists. Elsa Vaudrey was at the heart of the London art set in the 50's and 60's and exhibited regularly at the Redfern Gallery. A monograph by Mel Gooding and Lucy Inglis was published earlier this year. As we spend more time reflecting on things past, it is perhaps appropriate that the principal living artist on the Philips stand will be Terry Duffy whose career began in the 1970s, working with Joseph Beuys, John Cage and Roy Adzak. Decades later, as art movements came and went and the YBA dust began to settle, Terry continued to quietly impress. Exhibitions at the 2009 Venice Biennale and more recently in Cape Town, by invitation of Archbishop Desmond Tutu, have helped to cement his reputation as one of the heavyweights on the international scene. There is still much more to come from him.
The Buy Art Fair will be at Manchester Central, (GMEX), from Friday 27th - Sunday 29th October. Philips will be on Stand 339. Please contact the gallery for further details.
- Untitled. Oil on hot pressed china clay board by Terry Duffy. (English b. 1948).
- Man in Landscape. Oil on canvas by John Alvaro Caldas. (English 1934-2006). 122 cms x 109 cms. Signed and dated '83.
- Tourist. Plexiglass and aluminium collage by Hong Sung-Do. (South Korean b. 1953). 32 cms x 48 cms. No. 8 from an edition of 10. Signed and dated 2007 verso.
- Untitled. Oil on board by Elsa Vaudrey. (Scottish 1905-1990). 184 cms x 120 cms. Circa 1960-64.
- Untitled. Cut paper and burlap collage by Conrad Marca-Relli. (American 1913-2000). 49 cms x 63 cms. no.10 from an edition of 50. Signed and dated '70 lower right.
- Theme Florale. Oil on canvas by Martin Bradley. (English b. 1931). 99cms x 64 cms. Signed and dated 1966 verso.